Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Beaverlick Falls - An Introduction

I've always been interested in Old West 'Gunfight' games but like a lot of gamers I've butterflied between projects, seldom completing any, and my original old west setup (minimal as it was) ended up on a convention bring and buy some years back.

In October 2017 I played a most enjoyable western gunfight set in the fictitious town of McGinty's Crossing using the Fistful of Lead rules and my interest in the Old West was rekindled. The result of my renewed interest is my Beaverlick Falls project.

Beaverlick Falls is my take on a theme - it's not intended to be historically accurate, although I'm basing models on prototypes where possible, so it's got as much Hollywood as it's got History.  In terms of setting and back story, I see Beaverlick as a town that's grown from a few hunting lodges used by fur trappers to a small and expanding frontier town.  It will have a rail link and a riverboat landing at some point and local industry includes mining (The Windy Butte Mining Company) and logging.  Ranchers and cattle will feature too.

I've deliberately not picked a specific location as I want the freedom to model terrain and buildings that I like rather than those that would be geographically appropriate, however it turns out there's a real Beaver Lick town in Kentucky.  Any resemblance between the two is pure coincidence.

Where possible I'm building the structures from scratch using a mix of balsa, basswood and other wood for the wood (unsurprisingly) and tents are made from linen over card or 3D printed frames.  Signs for the most part are designed in Adobe Fireworks and printed on card, paper or transfer material.  Where practical I'll produce some 'how to' posts to explain what I've done.

The blog is a record of my efforts and an attempt to keep the project on track rather thango the way of the proverbial dodo.  I'll post the work to date to start the blog off and then I'll add items as I make them and time permits.  I hope you find it interesting.

Note:
BLF = Beaverlick Falls.  Rather than constantly typing Beaverlick Falls, I've used BLF as a shorthand reference.





No comments:

Post a Comment